Wednesday, May 19, 2010

2009 Nebula Award Nominees

Short Story:
I Remember the Future by Michael A. Burstein: SHUNNED

Novelette:

Novella:
The Women of Nell Gwynne's by Kage Baker: Impossible to get for under $100

All stories ranked in order of my preference. Winners in bold. In cases where two stories had the same score, I preferred the one higher on the list. But my general guideline is that I'd be happy with anything that scored 4 or higher winning a Nebula, and anything 3.5 or lower winning would be a disappointment. While I would vote for Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest, I would be perfectly content with the awards process to see Divining Light win.

In particular, I hugely prefer Spar to Bridsicle in the short story category, just barely not enough for different ratings, I prefer The Gambler over Memory of Wind significantly, although Sinner, Baker, ... makes that decision moot, but God Engines and Shambling are very close in the Novella category. I have decided I prefer Scalzi in this case, but only by a hair, and on average I'm a bigger fan of James Morrow than John Scalzi.

Turns out I pretty much called them, with the exception of Novellas where I was unable to even read the winning story. I'd love to see the voting numbers for runners up placing and how close I was on the runners up.

No comments: