Sunday, December 20, 2009

Gunfight on Farside

Novella by Adam-Troy Castro

Long introduction about how historical events become mythology and most depictions of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral are complete bull. Then moves into how the only shootout during the colonization of the moon has likewise been distorted. The narrator is an IRS agent who gets curious about why the government gave said shootout perpetrators lifelong tax immunity, investigates, and discovers a huge, mostly unrelated secret.

Well written, surprising, and much more interesting than the above summary might lead you to believe. I enjoyed this story, but not quite as much as seems to be consensus. I guess partly because it reminds me of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, which is tough to live up to. On the other hand, hey it reminds me of the Martian Chronicles and I have a cat named Bradbury. 3.5 million dollars of tax revenue were lost to moon hermits in the past year.

No comments: